Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Labels

I find some of the euphemistic labels used by the fertility industry quite unsettling. An extreme example is using "egg donor / pregnancy surrogate" for what in actual reality is in effect the mother of the child.

What prospective "intended" parents of children created through this must know in advance is that the children may not agree with these labels. They might put their own labels on the persons involved in their creation and upbringing.

For instance, I can't help thinking of my "donor" as my actual father, much like a mysterious stranger who might have knocked up my mother in a one-night stand, never to appear again.

And I think of my social father as... well, an impostor. A thief. A usurper.

At best, a stepfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment